HP Spectrum / Network Analyzer System
HP 141T Display
HP 8553B RF Section
HP 8552B IF Section
HP 8443A Tracking Generator
This System is in good physical and electrical condition.
We could not fully test the tracking generator. It did perform well as
a frequency counter. One item of note is that one side of each front
handle on the 141T is cracked. Also one handle of the
HP 8443A Tracking Generator has a cracked handle as well.
No cables are included with the unit to connect the
tracking generator to the spectrum analyzer.
The Model 141T is designed for use as a display section for the HP
Model 141T / 8550-series plug-in spectrum analyzer. The instrument has
variable persistence (duration of trace afterglow) and storage of CRT
displays. Persistence is variable from 0.2 second to more than 60 seconds. A
display can be stored (at reduced intensity ) for more than 2 hours or
displayed normal intensity for up to 1 minute. Stored displays can be erased
in 35o milliseconds.
Variable persistence is especially useful for viewing slow-sweep
signals. The persistence of the signals can be adjusted to provide a
complete trace, yet to fade fast enough to prevent interference with the
next trace and can be adjusted to eliminate flicker and still provide high
The storage feature of the instrument can be used to store single-shot
waveforms and to later view or photograph the phenomena. Comparison of
waveforms can be accomplished by storing several displays separately and
then viewing them simultaneously.
8553B Spectrum Analyzer RF Section
Input Impedance: 50 ohm nominal. Reflection coefficient<0.13, input
Maximum Input Level: peak or average power +13 dBm, +- 50V dc.
Scan Time: 16 internal scan rates from 0.01 ms/div. to 10 sec./div
in a 1,2,5 sequence, or manual scan.
- INT: Analyzer repetitively scanned by internally generated ramp;
synchronization selected by scan trigger.
- SINGLE: Signal scan with reset actuated by front panel pushbutton.
- EXT: scan determined by 0 to +8 volt external signal; scan input
- BLANKING:-1.5 V external blanking signal required.
- MANUAL: Scan determined by front panel control; continuously
variable across CRT in either direction.
Scan Trigger: For Internal Scan Mode, select between:
- AUTO: Scan free runs.
- LINE: scans synchronized with power line frequency.
- EXT: Scan synchronized with>2 volt (20 volt max.) trigger signal
- VIDEO: Scan internally synchronized to envelope of RF input signal
- VERTICAL OUTPUT: Approximately 0 to -0.8 V for 8 division
deflectrion on CRT display; parox. 100 ohm output impedance.
- SCAN OUTPUT: Approx. 5 to +5 V for 10 div CRT deflection, 5 k ohm
- PEN LIFT OUTPUT: 0 TO 14 V, Output available in Int and Single Scan
modes and Auto, Line, and Video scan trigger.
8552B Spectrum Analyzer IF Section
- BANDWIDTH: IF bandwidths of 10 Hz to 300 kHz provided in a 1,3
- BANDWIDTH ACCURACY: Individual IF bandwidth 3 dB points calibrated
- BANDWIDTH SELECTIVITY: 60 dB/3 IF bandwidth ratio<11:1 for IF
bandwidths from 10 Hz to 3 kHz and <20:1 for IF bandwidths form 10 kHz
to 300 kHz, 60 dB points separated by <100 Hz for 10 Hz bandwidth
HP 8443A Tracking Generator
Provides a CW
signal, from 100 kHz to 110 MHz, which tracks the frequency tuning of the
Spectrum Analyzer or restores the Spectrum Analyzer input signal. The 8443A
also includes a 7-digit frequency counter section which can monitor internal
or external signals up to 120 MHz.
Amplitude range: -120 dBm to +10 dBm. Track
Analyzer Mode of the 8443A displays the counted frequency of a tunable
marker. It has an internal ovenized 1 MHz timebase with an accuracy of 1 x
We just received another HP 8443A Generator. If the
new one functions correctly, it will be substituted for the one in the
photos. It is very clean physically and does not have the cracked